Saturday, April 1, 2023

LATINAS MAKING HERSTORY & BECOMING AGENTS OF CHANGE

 

by Rosa Beato

 

For Women’s History Month, we want to highlight Comadres in Public Service.  There is a long list of Comadres in Public Service like Moraima Gutierrez who was promoted to Connecticut Deputy District Director or Yolanda Gonzalez-Taylor who serves as a criminal court judge for New York State or Glendy Zavala who just retired with 28 years of service to the State of Texas. All Latina Leaders willing to step up and represent.

 “Civil Servant leadership and civic engagement training encourage people to become agents of change in their communities,” said Las Comadres National / International Founder, Dr. Nora de Hoyos Comstock. “It also teaches about protecting our democracy while learning the resources and skills to identify the issues they want to effectively address. The goal is to empower and increase the number of Latina leaders to represent our voice and to enhance the overall quality and quantity of Latina political leadership. Education and training are critical to be prepared to hit the road running because public office and political processes wait on no one!”

 We had conversations with two Comadres who have run for Public Office about what inspired them to run. 

Meet Julia Mejia and Tania Solé.

  

A CANDID CONVERSATION WITH JULIA MEJIA, BOSTON CITY COUNCILOR AT-LARGE

 


How did you get into office?

JULIA:  I got into office by winning by one vote. One vote made all the difference! I organized my community and helped people understand the power of their voice and their vote. I spent time in barbershops, hair salons, laundromats---all spaces where people gathered. Try to inspire as many people as possible that our vote matters and that our voice makes a difference. One vote later, here I am in the elected office.

 What spiked that love to serve the community?

JULIA:  I have been fighting for my community since I was about 9 years old. I was the official translator for my entire family. I was that kid that would go to the welfare office, doctor’s appointment because people knew they were going to get what they were looking for and fighting for. I’ve been fighting ever since. I knew what it was like to grow up without having anything and not having representation. For me it was important to understand that I can make a difference in my community. I felt like that life of service has carried me this far and continues to guide me in every decision that I make. That love to serve the community, the love of my people, that drives me. Porque ya tu sabes, el calor, el amor latino es una cosa tremenda that compelled me to fight my way to where I’m at today.

 Why did you run?

JULIA:  I ran for office because I was tired of elected officials asking me for my vote and then I didn’t see them anymore. It felt like a very transactional relationship. When congresswoman Ayanna Presley ran for Congress and won, I decided if she can do it, I can too. One vote win later, I became the first Afro-Latina to ever be elected to the city council at-large. At Large, city wide, which means I represent all 700,000 Boston city residents. That’s a big deal because right now I’m the only Latinx representation across the city. There’s a lot of work for us to do to make sure we continue amplifying our voices.

What are your thoughts about all these women running for office?

JULIA:  I think it’s incredibly inspiring. Women belong in all spaces and places. When women run for office, we change the conversation. We create space for us to be vulnerable, to challenge the status quo, to show up in our true authentic self. When we do that, we can pass laws, promote policies and protocols and procedures that impact the lives of those we serve. There’s a lot of single moms in the city of Boston who understand what it is like to juggle 2 or 3 jobs. These women are in the position of power who are raising children by themselves.

I think it is incredibly great and more women should run for office.

 Who is your role model?

JULIA:  My mother, Mirta Peña. She came to this country and learned how to navigate the system to support us. Everything I am, I owe to her.


A CAREER IN PUBLIC SERVICE WITH ENVIRONMENTALIST TANIA SOLÉ



Why did you run for office?

TANIA:  In 2015, I tried to recruit several people to run for State Assembly, but they all declined either because they feared the process or had concerns about the disclosures necessary to run. Finally, I said to myself I cannot ask people to do something I am not willing to do, so I decided to run.

 What impacts did you make as a State Assembly Candidate that you felt made a difference?

TANIA:  The first time I ran, in 2015 pre-Trump, I ran for City Council member of Redwood City. I was inspired to run for Assembly to address three issues: affordable housing, sustainability, and universal health care.  The second time I ran, in 2022 post Trump, I ran for D21 State Assembly member as a Green candidate opposing displacement and gentrification.

 Would you run again and if so, why?  

TANIA:  Probably not. The reality is that local politics has become very time intensive and yet is generally essentially a volunteer position, as in the case of running for Redwood City, City Council.  While City Council members do get paid a small, nominal monthly stipend, given the hours the position takes to be truly effective, most Council members end up far below minimum wage and even paying out of pocket for some ongoing expenses.  Nonetheless, this is generally the entry level position required to then run for state or federal positions. Once you move into state or federal positions, these positions are properly compensated; however, the reality of costly campaigns means that candidates must be strong fundraisers to even begin to be heard.  

Seven years ago, you were trying to recruit people to run for office and when they didn’t you did.  Since then, lots of Latinas/os have started running for office. What advice would you give these new candidates?

TANIA:  Don’t be afraid of losing. First of all, if you have a real agenda and communicate it, your message will receive a lot more awareness and can make a substantial difference, even if you lose. Second, you can always run again. In fact, most successful politicians run several times before they win. And lastly, do not be intimidated by the endorsement process as the reality is that endorsements are more about endorsing your likelihood of winning rather than endorsing your platform.

 Who is your role model?

TANIA:  You don’t need a role model or a mentor. You can be your own role model.#

NOTE:  Tania has been featured and written about her experiences in running.  Read them here: https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/local/former-redwood-city-council-candidate-seeks-assembly-seat/article_8d23bf10-af14-11ec-bdd9-e7d55052ac40.html  and  https://www.gp.org/the_us_needs_a_strong_independent_third_party.


**This article was published in the Winter / Spring 2023 Comadres Connect Newsletter.**


No comments:

Post a Comment