Wednesday, November 16, 2022

COMADRE MARATHONER: INTERVIEW WITH LAS COMADRES PRESIDENT TERESA LARA


BY MARIA FERRER

 

Teresa Lara is President of Las Comadres Para Las Americas and a marathoner.  She’s completed six half-marathons, a few 10k runs, and this year she ran and finished her first full marathon.  Let’s hear how she prepares, learn about the agony of anticipation, how to carbo load, and how race is grace.

 


 Q: How did you prepare for this marathon? How long were you training?

TERESA:  I signed up on a whim when my friend Tanya said she was 'walking' it and that seemed doable. I walk/jog 5 miles daily before work and another 2-3 miles after work, which was my only training. I consider myself lucky for having completed it without injuries or soreness. If I were to do it again, I'd have walked/jogged 15 miles a couple of times before the marathon.

 

Q:Now that this marathon is over, are you training for the next one?

TERESA:  I am not (famous last words). The agony and anticipation the night before was worse than the actual marathon.  I didn't get much sleep and I was worried about oversleeping. Luckily, I had slept well the whole week, so the previous night's jitters didn't affect me much.

 

Q:  Is it true that you have to carbo load for a good run?  What is/was your favorite food during training and how often did you eat it?

TERESA:   Oh, my goodness. I carb loaded a few days prior not the night before from a learned experience from a previous run (one of the halfies I'd completed). Everyone's body is different, so practicing to see what your body responds to well is key. I learned that I cannot introduce any new foods, meal quantities, or clothing the week of the event and to just keep things normal and standard. As for the carb load, I treated myself to my favorite homemade cacio e pepe from a local restaurant, on Wednesday, before the race.

 

Q:  What do you enjoy about running?

TERESA:  It feels like I'm flying. I started off running one block, walking next, another block, walking the next, then it was two, three blocks...and it was out of joy and it felt good. My max is about 5 blocks at a time now. 

 

Q:  Please share your favorite fitness tips with us and how we can incorporate them during the holidays.  

TERESA:  My brother is an avid running/boxer.  He came down from San Jose to join me on my first half-marathon and that’s when he “coached” me to 'slow down', to save energy that will help me go longer. I thought he was kidding because I'm already a slow jogger, but I've been able to find a nice pace and rhythm for these longer runs.  I want to send the message that running is not a hustle bustle sport, but a graceful experience that is

achievable by anyone.  One doesn’t have to have an athlete body to start jogging or to finish a race.  It’s more achievable than we think, and the end result is so empowering.  I feel invincible.  My favorite words…Race is grace.


Congratulations to Teresa on her finishing her first full marathon. Hurrah!

 

Race is Grace.

 

This post first appeared in the Fall 2022 Comadres Connect! Newsletter.