Wednesday, November 16, 2022

MINDFUL LIVING WITH Z: INTERVIEW WITH COMADRE ZAYDA RIVERA


BY JACQUELINE QUINONES

   


What was your journey to creating Mindful Living with Z?

Zayda: Three years ago, my mother was very ill. That was my calling to shift more towards spiritual work. I felt I was called to study Reiki to try to heal my mother. Then I realized that God put this in my path to heal myself first. So, I practiced a lot of Reiki on myself, and I began to heal and continue healing today. But it takes time and dedication to self. Spiritual wellness is a lifestyle. It is not an overnight fix, but it doesn’t necessarily take a long time to see the benefits of spiritual work. One year after I began my spiritual wellness practice, I was stunned to see how much I had changed. It showed in my face. In 2019, I was guided by spirit to start my own business and then in 2020 when the COVID Pandemic happened, I used these healing modalities to help clients who were dealing with it personally or lost a family member or friend due to COVID. This is also when God called me to do a 30-day virtual meditation gathering on Instagram for free. I’ll be starting another one soon so look out for it. Many people who followed me said it made an impact on their lives. By the way, my mom made a full recovery, and she is healthier and happier than I have ever seen her. We were scheduled to go to Puerto Rico to celebrate her birthday on Oct. 2, but Hurricane Fiona had other plans. So, I send Reiki healing energy to my island as often as possible. 

 

How long have you been a Comadre?

Zayda: I was in my 20s when I became a member. I remember I was working at ARCOS Communications and the owner, Roy Cosme, said Las Comadres was going to have a meeting in the conference room and I should check it out. I did, and I remember being inspired by hearing all these amazing and powerful Latinas sharing their stories. I’m honored to still be a part of this group today.

 

What do you like most about being a Comadre?

Zayda: What I love is being able to connect with other like-minded Latinas. I was honored to be able to do a Reiki Healing Group for Las Comadres during the pandemic. I felt supported by the group and there was such positive energy.

 

What significance does Hispanic Heritage Month have for you?

Zayda: For me it's an opportunity to highlight our beautiful culture and accomplishments and show the world that we are not a monolithic group. It represents us Latinos as a driven, colorful, alive and spiritual community. It's about Latinos showing up for themselves and others. We need to celebrate our culture every day and be intentional about acknowledging our strengths because it highlights our lineage. We can learn so much from each other and embrace how diverse we are.  

 

What is your favorite fall holiday?

Zayda: I have a big holiday spirit. I am a Scorpio so definitely Halloween and Dia de Los Muertos. I enjoy planning fun celebrations with my teenager and 4-year-old twins. We decorate the house, prepare fun meals, and always, always dance.

 

What is a positive affirmation that you live by?

Zayda: God show me how great life can get. I say it throughout the day to show how grateful I am for everything. We need to trust that there are no limitations in our lives. We are often the ones that place limitations on ourselves. When we trust and surrender, magic happens.

 

Share with us some favorite tips for staying healthy in the Fall.

Zayda: Meditate. It keeps you physically and spiritually healthy. If you don’t have a practice already, it may be good to start in colder weather when people are most affected with the winter blues and seasonal depression. You can start with as little as 5-minutes of deep breathing. When you are in the shower try placing your hands over your heart chakra (not your organ, but your chakra located at the center of your breastbone) and be grateful for the energy around you. Movement. Turn on music that inspires you to move your body. Movement is life; it tells our body that we are alive. When we stop moving, we are telling our bodies that we are slowly dying. Balance comes in when you are taking care of your spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical health. Love Yourself. This will be the most important decision in your life. When you heal yourself, you love yourself and your light shines brightly on everything and everyone around you.

 

Zayda Rivera is a certified Reiki Master-Teacher, meditation guide, spiritual coach, intuitive tarot reader, and certified yoga instructor. Her clients include media companies like the Meredith Corporation and Time Magazine. Zayda recently signed with Row House Publishing for her first book, which will be released in 2025. Visit Mindful Living with Z at www.zaydarivera.com and follow Zayda @MindfulLivingwithZ on Instagram and TikTok.



This post appeared in the Fall 2022 Comadres Connect! Newsletter.