Wednesday, November 16, 2022

YOGA AND SOUL: INTERVIEW WITH COMADRE JEANNIE DIAZ

 

BY JACQUELINE QUINONES

 



What inspired you to start Chair Yoga and Soul?

Jeannie: Part of what inspired me were the many yoga classes I attended that helped me to learn about body posture and alignment. From the many studios that I visited I found one where I felt comfortable. It was inclusive, diverse and they made me realize that size doesn’t matter when you are practicing yoga. This practice was a gateway to focusing on my body. It opened up my heart and I wanted to help others feel this way as well. The teacher there also encouraged me to take the teacher training.  What I teach is chair yoga which incorporates all of the same poses as regular yoga but a modified version.

 

How long have you been a Comadre?

Jeannie: I have been a Comadre since 2014, when I attended a meeting hosted at the Hispanic Federation. 

What do you like most about being a Comadre?

Jeannie: What is dear to my heart is the sense of sisterhood you feel and all the support you receive. If it wasn’t for Las Comadres I would not be doing my chair yoga classes. I started providing my Chair Yoga classes during the pandemic and Las Comadres gave me the opportunity to provide this service to their membership.

 

What would you say to someone who is thinking about joining Las Comadres?

Jeannie: If you are looking for a community of women Las Comadres is the group to join because they are so inspiring and offer so much encouragement. You don’t have to go to every meeting and they will still welcome you. They are there for you whenever you need them. Eventually you will be drawn to this group and commit to participate because of the culture of community they foster which is important.

 

What is a positive affirmation you live by?

Jeannie: It is Feel good, Do good. When you are in this line of business sometimes you forget to take care of yourself. I am the type of person that gives and gives and I needed to focus more on loving myself. So I started working with a life coach who helped to ground me and this was an affirmation that we came up with that helps to ground me. I also like  “What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.”- Buddha




What words come to your mind when you think about Hispanic Heritage Month?

Jeannie: Awareness and curiosity. This is the month when people ask about our culture. Everyone wants to be more aware of their ancestry. Now that I am older I am also asking more questions especially of my Dad who told me that his first job was making piraguas. He shared with me all of the jobs he had to do to save enough money to bring the family to NY.

 

What is your favorite fall holiday and why?

Jeannie: I have to say it is Thanksgiving. It’s a great tradition where family comes together shares food, music and reflects on what they are grateful for. It’s also sad because you think about those who don’t have family. All of my family is in Dominican Republic, but I have friends and colleagues who invite me and it's an opportunity for me to meet people and make new friends.

 

Power of the Mind --- what does this phrase mean to you?

Jeannie:  The biggest myth is that you need 30 minutes to do meditation. Even if you dedicate one minute it is your special moment. In that one minute you give yourself the opportunity to open your mind. It also reminds me of my first class of teacher training where they displayed a slide on the projector that contained the words “welcome to your mind”. It’s a beautiful thing. At the end of the day sometimes we forget to be kind to ourselves and the world around us.

 

 

Jeannie Diaz is a 200hr Yoga & Meditation teacher based in NYC. Her classes focus on breathwork, mindfulness, body positivity and are accessible to all.

Email: Jnamaste18@gmail.com Instagram: Jnamaste

Virtual classes are free/by donation - Chair Yoga 2x a week & Meditation Thursday evenings IRL private & group

Yoga classes- Sundays.



This post first appeared in the Fall 2022 Comadres Connect! Newsletter.