Wednesday, November 16, 2022

THE BEST GIFTS FOR THE HOLIDAYS: KINDNESS AND GENEROSITY

 

BY ESPERANZA BELTRAN

 

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. ¨- Phyllis Diller

 

 

What are your acts of kindness?

 


This was the question for our Comadres in this, the beginning of the holiday season. Not only did we receive many responses, but we also received this beautiful and inspirational message from Dr. Nogales, Secretary to the Board of Las Comadres Para Las Americas:

When we consider the vastness of our universe, our planet is incredibly minuscule. Nevertheless, we are all responsible for it. I strongly believe, given the circumstances of our tumultuous world, that our planet will survive because of love. Love is the ultimate cause and the most significant experience we can have as human beings. We survive infancy because of the love and kindness of a parent or caregiver. We look for love throughout our childhood and adulthood. Love is what keeps us together in our Comadre network. While love is a personal experience, I wish you much self-love. Be open to receive the love that is around you so that you do not just enjoy life but to plant the seed to let it grow for others too.

 

Comadres shared their acts of kindness, here are a few…

 

From Comadre Sylvia E. Klinger

Making breads and cookies for the elderly without families around to celebrate holidays with them. 

 

From Comadre Oralia Garcia

My brother is in his early 50s, married with 3 children.  For almost 2 years he has volunteered on a worldwide app to assist blind and visually impaired people.  He gets random video calls from all over the world. Sometimes someone just needs help picking the clothes to wear so colors don’t Clash. I will not mention the app since I understand you want this submission to be generic. My brother would never toot his own horn.  As a matter of fact I barely found out he was doing this.  My brother’s name is Paul Garcia from Harlingen Texas.  I have no doubt his bilingual skills double the calls he receives. 

 

From Comadre Monica Peňa

One day as I was standing in line at the local pharmacy, I realized the woman in front of me and the cashier were having difficulties communicating with each other. I helped translate, they finished their transaction, and after I checked out the woman and her father were near the front of the store. We quickly started a conversation as she thanked me for being so nice. Maria had just arrived in this country and was new to the area. Both her father and her explained they did not know too much English and this made things difficult.  I told her to pull out her phone where I gave her information about English classes and told her she would meet people there that felt the same way. Whenever possible, help with a smile so that people can feel more comfortable sharing their story. Then be a resource.

 

And here are a couple of interesting links with information on how giving helps our overall health and well being…

 

A Life Lesson From A Volunteer Firefighter

https://www.ted.com/talks/mark_bezos_a_life_lesson_from_a_volunteer_firefighter?utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare

 

How Generosity Changes Your Brain

https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/psychology-of-giving-to-charity

 

This post was first published in the Fall 2022 Comadres Connect! Newsletter.